We have four Giant Tortoises living in Jubilee House since 2022. Lincoln is our only male and is 35 years old, Shelby is 25 years old, Lucy is 10 years old and Eccles is 5 years old.
You can visit these near the play area. Please note that the Tortoises move to a different living area September to April where it is warmer in the colder months.
Sulcata tortoises live for around 70 years and are the third largest tortoise in the world.
You can visit these near the play area. Please note that the Tortoises move to a different living area September to April where it is warmer in the colder months so may not be on show.
Fun Facts about Sulcata Tortoises
- They cry to protect their eyes and remove dirt.
- They wiggle their bums to show how happy they are.
- They are music lovers. Don’t be surprised when your tortoise pays rapt attention to certain songs. They listen and enjoy a nice beat.
- They love to bond. Sulcatas enjoy back-scratching, rubbing, and being with their owners.
- They are highly intelligent. No wonder the Sulcata tortoise occupied an interesting place in Africa folklore and presented it as a repository of knowledge.
- The female Sulcata tortoise can produce up to 24 eggs during procreation.
- Sulcata tortoises are playful. Don’t be fooled by their slow and gentle nature. A healthy Sulcata can interact with different objects just for fun.
- Sulcata tortoises need your attention to thrive. Like any other animal, a Sulcata can die from lack of care, including insufficient food, poor hygiene, and infections.
- Sulcata tortoises love sunshine. It could be because of the origin, but African spurred giant tortoises love to bathe in the sun. The sun helps their shell to stay healthy.